On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:22:37AM +0900, Jim Weirich wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 13:37, why the lucky stiff wrote:
>
> > I'm offering Syck under two licenses, which you can choose from.
> >
> > The first is a standard BSD license.  No restrictions on modifying, copying,
> > publishing, etc. but please include the copyright sort of thing.
> >
> > The second is a "Death and Repudiation" license, which restricts ANY use of
> > the library (even perfectly legitimate and non-commercial uses) until after
> > one's death.  This means that if you accept this license, you agree to code
> > against Syck blindly and provide your children with the means to compile and
> > distribute your software.  The "Repudation" part of license indicates that
> > even after your death, I will unexpectedly revoke this license and sue your
> > heirs.
> >
> > Full texts for these two flavors of licensing shall be available in the next
> > release.  Thank you for your inquiry.
>
> I'm curious.   I don't see the second license listed at
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses.  Have you submitted to OSI for
> certification?

I believe it satisfies all the requirements of the Open Source
definition!!! This proves how loose "Open Source" can be.

"1. Free Redistribution

The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the
software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing
programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a
royalty or other fee for such sale."

Use of the library is restricted, but redistribution seems to be
allowed.

"2. Source Code

The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in
source code as well as compiled form. Where some form of a product is
not distributed with source code, there must be a well-publicized means
of obtaining the source code for no more than a reasonable reproduction
cost preferably, downloading via the Internet without charge. The source
code must be the preferred form in which a programmer would modify the
program. Deliberately obfuscated source code is not allowed.
Intermediate forms such as the output of a preprocessor or translator
are not allowed."

Source code is given and can be redistributed.

"3. Derived Works

The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow
them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the
original software."

The license states that you can "code against Syck blindly"; nothing is
said on redistribution, so we assume it is allowed.

"4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code

The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified
form only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with
the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time.
The license must explicitly permit distribution of software built from
modified source code. The license may require derived works to carry a
different name or version number from the original software."

Then again, the license doesn't require anything against this.

"5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups

The license must not discriminate against any person or group of
persons."

No discrimination is done; neither the "death" nor the "repudiation"
parts discriminate against anybody.

"6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a
specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program
from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research."

No discrimination here either. Every body gets the same usage rights
(void).

"7. Distribution of License

The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the program
is redistributed without the need for execution of an additional license
by those parties."

OK too.

"8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product

The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is
extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the
terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is
redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in
conjunction with the original software distribution."

It is not specific to a product. Your children will be sued regardless
of what Syck was integrated in.

"9. The License Must Not Restrict Other Software

The license must not place restrictions on other software that is
distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license
must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium
must be open-source software."

Satisfied, nothing is stated on other software.

"*10. The License must be technology-neutral

No provision of the license may be predicated on any individual
technology or style of interface."

"No discrimination" on a technological basis.

--
	Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Win95 is not a virus; a virus does something.
	-- unknown source