"Lothar Scholz" <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:15315410562.20030506142503 / scriptolutions.com...
> >> 6) Rubies OO functionallity is not so important in CGI like scripts
> >>    (this means scripts that start with no internal variables other
> >>    then session variables).
> >>    This would only be an important point if you use an application
> >>    server, but there is none.
>
> > Why would a CGI application benefit less from OO than other types of
> > applications?
>
> Because a CGI script (or better any non application server like
> script) starts with zero data. It loads all data, processes them and
> outputs the data. With this constellation there is often not much to do
> so no need for a technical better solution.

This does not convince me.  Are you saying that generally small programs
don't benefit from OO?  Most small ruby scripts I'm writing contain at
least one new class, because that way I can tackle problems more easily
(at least it's easier for *me*).

> Okay if you refer to monster applications (for PHP) like PHPNuke or
> MySQL then you find that they could be written in 50% of the code when
> using good OO. But there are so less applications of this size
> (written - not used) that they don't count for PHP popularity.
>

> >> 8) Everyone can learn PHP in a week, because it is much simpler
> >>    Even designer and low paid students, which is commercially
> >>    important.
>
> > I don't know PHP too much, but I'd say that ruby is pretty easy to
take
> > on.  As many pointed out, it's far easier than perl for example.
>
> As someone who speaks 10 computer languages it is not easier for me to
> learn PHP as it is to learn Ruby. But there are still a lot of people
> who don't understand OO, who don't understand regular expressions, who
> don't have the discipline for good organization of modules, files and
> there contents.

The if PHP does not have (or need?) regular expressions why would I need
them then in a similar program written in Ruby?  Is there functionality in
PHP that hides regexps behind a more friendly (or easy) interface?

> Now you simply say: Okay, they must learn. But this is
> not an always "commerciall" way to handle this problems. You pay less
> and expect less but they still got the things done. This ist mostly
> the thing you do with smaller websites (< 2000 Euro) where the only
> thing you can do is find a student and let them work.

Understandable.

> There are professionals with > 60.000 Euros and experience of 10 years
> and they can't write a good OO program.

Yes, of course.

    robert