"Chris Pine" <nemo / hellotree.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:032b01c3131b$65d04aa0$6401a8c0 / MELONBALLER...
> I guess the problem is that most programmers see programming languages
as
> more like religions than Mexican food.  If I told you I was writing a
new
> programming language, wouldn't you have at least a bit of scepticism,
> perhaps even contempt?  "Why another?"  "Do you really think it will be
> popular?"  And so on.  But what if I told you I was opening a new
Mexican
> restaurant?  "When does it open?  Are you going to have free chips and
> salsa?"

Hm, I thought this is what happens to new languages all the time: people
jump on it and try it out.  Same as with restaurants, isn't it?

I think the point where the parallel does not hold is existing code.  You
can always switch your restaurant without loosing much (ok, the friendly
smile of the waiter might be considered a real loss :-)) ), while this is
much more difficult with an existing application. Even if there is a
migration tool there's often enough to do left to scare people away.

Regards

    robert