Hi,

In message "Re: How to call an object instance's method?"
    on 03/04/25, "Chris Pine" <nemo / hellotree.com> writes:

|"puts (a+b).abs" as "(puts(a+b)).abs" really made me mad.
|----------------------------

|Yes, but was this true with other methods?
|
|  'one:two:three'.split (':').each {|x| puts x}

True for my eyes.  Perhaps my eys are influenced too much by Ruby.

|It seems to me that we expect different precedence from 'puts', for some
|reason.

I don't see any good reason to put space before parentheses here.  But
I met "puts (a+b).abs" case in real programming.

|In any case, since this is the Way It Is now, it seems that our
|documentation should probably change to reflect this, especially our
|introductory materials.  We may not tend to think of whitespace as syntax,
|but it was (to a small degree) before, and is even moreso now.  Someone
|coming from C is bound to be surprised by this; it even keeps biting more

Yep.  I (or we) need to prepare definitive document maybe via Wiki,
just like we've done in Japanese.

							matz.