Hi all,

while I'm not new to Ruby, to Emacs I admit I am.
WHat I'd like to accomplish for the moment is to get the ruby mode for
Emacs working...

What I did so far:

I've downloaded Emacs @ ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/21.3/
And the basic things work as I expected (Can edit, save, load etc.)

Now I followed the instructions at

http://members.optushome.com.au/puyo/ruby.html#section:Ruby Downloads

....and run into this error message from the Emacs Lisp compiler:

Compiling file c:/Programme/emacs/lisp/progmodes/ruby-mode.el at Thu Apr
   ** assignment to free variable add-log-current-defun-function

While compiling toplevel forms:
   ** reference to free variable font-lock-type-face
   ** assignment to free variable font-lock-variable-name-face
   ** assignment to free variable ruby-font-lock-syntactic-keywords
   ** The function `hilit-set-mode-patterns' is not known to be defined.

Now what? (Apart from leraning Emacs' Lisp, but that's my exercise after
getting a bit more used to Emacs - which seems to be, er, promising to
say the least). (Found some sites using alltheweb and google;
unfortunately I don't speak (read and/or write) Japanese...)

Any help available?

Cheers

Stephan