> >  /cat|small/  -> true if matches /cat/ or matches /small/
> >  /cat&small/  -> true if matches /cat/ and matches /small/
> >  /cat|!small/ -> true if matches /cat/ or does not match /small/
> >  /cat&!small/ -> true if matches /cat/ and does not match /small/
> >
> > Just my $0.02
>

> Does the "!~" operator help you out here?
>
> "cat" =~ /cat/  => 0
> "cat" !~ /cat/  => false

Well:
1) That only solves a small subset of the problems I'm referring to.
For instance, it still doesn't let me grep for items that contain the word
"cat" and not the word "small"

2) It seems to act odd with my irb:

>> "cat" !~ /z/
?>
?>

i.e. Ruby doesn't seem to realize that the statement is done.

--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.