----- Original Message -----
From: "Hal E. Fulton" <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com>

> You should attend my talk if you're going to OSCON!  :)

Wish I could. :) Will you share notes afterward? Or
a .mpg even?
----------------------------

I will.

----------------------------
I'll have to think on this when I'm less hungry/tired/stupid.
----------------------------

It's tricky.  I didn't get it myself until I drew a big picture with red
lines pointing a class's superclass, and blue lines pointing to an object's
class.  Those are both pretty simple to understand.  `kind_of?' is trickier,
though.  It's one blue line, followed by 0-or-more red lines.  It *feels*
like you are simply going up a tree of some sort (and in a flatter language
like Java, this analogy is just fine), but you aren't.  You follow the blue
line once, then you set off on the red lines in an orthogonal direction.
The blue and red (the class and superclass) relationships are really
different, but the fact that they both figure into the `kind_of?'
relationship lulls us into thinking of them as being similar.  They aren't.

Chris