Saluton!

* Eric Schwartz <emschwar / pobox.com>; 2003-04-22, 21:38 UTC:
> > > [Volkshochschule], a bit hard to translate...
> >
> > Maybe "Adult evening classes"

Sounds like 'Abendschule' to me.

> Sounds more like a community college to me.

I don't know enought about education in anglo-saxon countries so let
me write a bit about Volkshochschule (VHS - same abbreviation as
Video Home System).

VHS has many different courses. Courses can be 'How to repair your
bike', 'Mastering Excel' but they can also be 'finishing school'.
Almost anything is possible. I did take a COBOL course. As far as
computers are concerned they usually only do mainstream. I think it's
Vice++ (VC++) and Phoebe (VB) these days. But that strongly depends
on two questions: What are people after that want to teach and what
do people want. If too few join a course it is cancelled. I am
surprised that a VHS does announce a Ruby course - it is by no means
mainstream here in Germany.

Many people here in Bonn and Cologne believe in the holy church of
the camel, some have a python cult and very few are Rubyist. But I am
evangelizing. At our local LUG (Bonn) I can produce laughter by
taking a Ruby book and holding it in the way other people hold their
'Watchtower' >;->

But it works. Some people start taking Ruby into account when it
comes to scripting problems. At least one guy told me 'I started
using Ruby because of your frequent statements about Ruby :->

Maybe some day there will be a Ruby User Group here. Presently I
don't think there are enough people for that. Convince me I am wrong
(-_-)

Gis,

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
Please consider e-mails with no or an empty plain text part as not
being delivered to me. This of course does not apply to signed or