> > How do I realize the regular-interval-parsing? How can my
> application
> > keep in mind what part of the logfile has already been parsed and
> which
> > part is new? How am I able to send an e-mail using Ruby?

Another old unix-y way of doing this (not sure if it will work on
Windows, but I think it should) is on the first "iteration", read the
lines of the file while not eof, looking for what you want, doing
what you need if you find it "seek" to the end of file.  This will
put your file pointer exactly at the end, where it already is since
you read to the end, but it will RESET it's "eof" marker, so
subsequent reads will start from there.   Then sleep for your time
delta, and repeat the process.