On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, 11:24:23 PM, Rasputin wrote:

> gsinclair / soyabean.com.au wrote in comp.lang.ruby:

>> On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, 12:00:20 AM, Brian wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure I like the idea of Ruby keeping a separate
>>> installed-packages-repository database. It could work, but then there would
>>> be three different types of packages that could be installed:
>>
>>>   - packages using the O/S package management system (e.g. RPMs or FreeBSD
>>>     ports)
>>>   - packages using this language-specific package management system
>>>   - packages which didn't support either and were installed manually
>>
>> The OS package management system will never serve all needs, so if
>> "having some installed this way and some installed that way" is your
>> concern, then it will never be the solution.

> Google for BSDPAN sometime - a year or so back the FreeBSd crowd found a way to
> integrate their ports system with CPAN. MIght be a good starting point?

There's sometimes an undercurrent of "but we've got to do our own
thing" (i.e. not use CPAN).  I like the idea of hooking into CPAN in
some way.  The great thing about Ruby is that once you've got all the
ideas in place, it's easy to implement things, so improvement is very
possible.

But thanks for the pointer; I'll take a look.

Gavin