Thanks for the help.  Could you help me with a couple more questions?:

1)  How do I know if the system here is using procmail?  I know it's
installed on the system.  Should I do this:

$ cat > ~/.forward
| procmail

Will that do what I want?

2)  Do I need to do something to my mail client (mutt) to it reads the
mail from a different directory? (wherever procmail puts the mail).  I
suppose so.  I'll try google for that information.

3)  How do I train bogofilter?

I can see this:

> bash$ cat false-positive-spam | bogofilter -Sn
> bash$ cat false-negative-spam | bogofilter -Ns

But I still need to get the false-(positive|negative) into a file.  Can I
just save the file with my mail client and do the above?  Or will that
lose some important information?

4)  Yes, I'd appreciate borrowing your databases as a starting point.
Are they ASCII?  (so I can edit them by hand).

Thanks again.
--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.