On Apr 16, Dave Thomas wrote:

> The mail-news gateway is filtered: I run SpamAssassin on messages going
> to both directions. However, the mailing list itself is open, so anyone
> can post to ruby-talk directly.
>
> In addition, spammers seem to be getting wise to SpamAssassin: I'm
> seeing more and more e-mail get through (both personally and in the
> mail-news gateway). I was on the point of reducing the threshold a bit
> to see if it made things better. Does anyone have any experience to
> share here?

I personally run with 3.5 as the threshold, and have increased the point score
of a couple of rules.

I use procmail to ensure my mailing lists get through, and whitelist my domain
so stuff from the corporation isn't deleted.

On Apr 16, Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 04:17 PM, Brian Candler wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 05:57:34AM +0900, Dave Thomas wrote:
> >>In addition, spammers seem to be getting wise to SpamAssassin: I'm seeing
> >>more and more e-mail get through (both personally and in the mail-news
> >>gateway).
> >
> >I'm surprised that spamassassin found "Dear Somebody" as the only suspicious
> >content in that message [ruby-talk:69424] when it is a boilerplate
> >money-transfer scam. Perhaps a newer version would have a better ruleset?
>
> The gateway uses SA 2.5. I'm not sure who posted a 2.2 header.
>
> >As for getting wise - personally I think the absolute volume of spam is just
> >increasing exponentially...
> >
> Perhaps, but SA used to catch a pretty high percentage of SPAM I received:
> that percentage seems to have dropped off.

I have seen this also.  I think it actually started when I upgraded spamassasin
versions from 2.2 to 2.31.  Probably a coincidence and completely without hard
numbers to back it up.

I have not however turned on the Vipul's razor functionality (tried briefly but
couldn't get it to work), pyzor, or any of the blacklists.

Have you tried this for the list?

I think members only posts will probably help a lot though.

--
Brett Williams