When I first learned regular expressions, they were no problem.  It was in a
math class, and we were working over a finite alphabet ({a, b}, as I recall)
which certainly did *not* include any of the delimiters or special symbols
(+, *, ?, etc.).  No problem.

Then came regexps in real life.  Yuck.  I've lost count of the number of
times I have relearned regexps, like cramming for pop quiz, and forgotten it
all promptly after I figured it out.  When I need a regexp, I open up irb
and just duke it out till I get it.  Then I copy the regexp into my code and
make sure never to look at it again.

I'm not asking for new regexp syntax in Ruby or anything.  I'm sure that
doing it the Perl way is the Right way in this case, and if I used regexps
any more often than I do, I would probably just learn the damn syntax, too,
and that would be the end of it.  But, like looking at an old Perl program,
an old regexp is just...

Then I started thinking:  We have Perl-style regexps, right?  What other
style regexps are there?  I'm sure people have come up with a number of
different ideas, but a quick Google didn't turn up anything.  Does anyone
know of any other ideas?

I'm just convinced that whoever came up with the current standard syntax
(was it Chomsky?) was *not* implementing them on a computer over the ASCII
alphabet.

Chris