Saluton!

* Shannon Fang <xrfang / hotmail.com>; 2003-04-15, 17:10 UTC:
> I believe the ruby-talk group is already filtered by SpamAssassin.

What does that mean? No, I am not trying to troll, I simply do not
understand how the filtering takes place. Three ideas did cross my
mind but all of them are not in accord with observation:

- Every time SPAM posted to the newsgroup hits the mailinglist
  gateway a bot sends cancel messages? That would soon result in the
  gateway held incommunicado.

- Every time SpamAssassin identifies a news posting as SPAM it is not
  forwareded to the mailing list? That would mean that reactions to
  the SPAM that are posted to the newsgroup would result in "What are
  you talking about?" messages by those who using this group in mail
  mode.

- Every time SpamAssassin identifies a news posting as SPAM it is not
  forwareded to the newsgroup? That would be the same with both
  groups exchanged.

Could anybody explain what is actually done?

Finally a remark on the '[OT]' - I don't see why it is off-topic to
talk about Ruby programs to filter SPAM.

Gis,

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt