Saluton!

* Martin Weber <Ephaeton / gmx.net>; 2003-04-14, 21:37 UTC:
>> language. I did use C# before Ruby and I believe that THEY have
>> borrowed a lot from Ruby.
>
> Well, point me to a working portable implementation of the runtime
> environment as well as a working compiler/interpreter/I don't care
> for my system and I might even try it :)

Freshmeat is your friend.

> Pardon me, but I don't need another non-portable language for
> idiots. Visual basic is living in that corner successfully already.

C# is quite portable and is no programming language for braindeath.
It comes with some cute features I don't expect to see in a
braindeath's program. Just to mention two: accessors and regex.

Slightly modified example from Programming Ruby:

class Mod
  def size
    @size
  end
  def size=(val)
    @size = val

C# equivalent:

class Mod {
  int Size;

  public int size {
    get { return(Size); }
    set { Size = value; }
}

Different approach but same feature.

In my humble opinion C# is programmers second-best friend. I am
pretty sure that the THEY in part created C# because their
programmers were tired of using C or C++ and did want something more
programmer-friendly.

When switching from C# to Ruby I quite frequently said to myself:
"Hmm, that's a more elegant way to do this but in principle it's
nothing new."

> I though think that I'll get some book about it and get a real
> understanding about the language; yet my gut-feel up till now has
> successfully directed me to nice languages (lisp, ruby, c) and kept
> me away from mediocre (c++, perl) as well as awful (java :)
> languages. I don't see why I should stop listening to my guts now.

Try 'A Programmer's Introduction to C#' by apress or 'C# Essentials'
by O'Reilly.

The look of "C# Essentials" is telling. The format is identical to
that of "Ruby in a Nutshell" (even as far as the number of pages is
concerned). Both languages feel like very inequal twins.

> And lastly, if you haven't realized, there was a good amount of
> humor incorporated in that post. The target was the programmer
> using that specific 'language', not the language itself.

I was pretty sure about that but I don't think that Phoebe (*)
programmers have much in common with C# programmers.

Finally let me report a funny incident: I was writing a C# program
using a VisualStudio.net beta. In the midst of entering a regex the
whole IDE crashed. Redo from last saved state. Same procedure as last
time. And again. Same procedure again. And a third time. Same
procedure as last time? Same procedure as every time. Waitamoment...
I did open the file in Notepad, finished the regex, and then switched
back to the IDE. Let's backspace. OOPS, there we crash again. Bug in
sytax highlighting detected. Enough that was.

Run...
cmd
Ctrl-Alt-Enter
edit next-file.cs

a bit later:

"Praise the lord, they still ship nmake :-)"

again somewhat later:

"What are you doing here? Hey, I didn't allow you to run Linux on
that machine." - "I don't." I did press Alt-Enter. A very surprised
face I saw (that guy was administrator of the Windows server -
seemingly he had never before seen 'cmd' in fullscreen mode nor had
he seen good old 'edit').

He also had problems working in as administrator on that machine. For
practical reasons I use lefty mouse settings - approximately halfs
way from main key field to mouse.

Gis,

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt