On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 05:13:29AM +0900, Josef 'Jupp' Schugt wrote:
> Saluton!
>
> * Martin Weber <Ephaeton / gmx.net>; 2003-04-14, 10:01 UTC:
> > pos lang  problem              advice
> > #10 C#    da da ugh dee da da  get a soother with "Java" written on it
>
> Did you ever use C#? Doesn't sound as if. It is a great programming
> language. I did use C# before Ruby and I believe that THEY have
> borrowed a lot from Ruby.

Well, point me to a working portable implementation of the runtime
environment as well as a working compiler/interpreter/I don't care
for my system and I might even try it :) I was merely reflecting what
I had read other people saying about it as well as some of the know-
ledge about its backgrounds which were shown by the c't over time (although
that's been some time they've reported about the CLI).

To me it seems like another nice brainfuck like java where the oh-so-godly
designers felt they stepped down on earth and bless programmers with all
they deem valuable, and take away from them all they deem dangerous[1].

Pardon me, but I don't need another non-portable language for idiots. Visual
basic is living in that corner successfully already. I'm not going to spend
a several hundred euros to buy myself a working development environment along
with a new OS to run it on.

I though think that I'll get some book about it and get a real understanding
about the language; yet my gut-feel up till now has successfully directed me
to nice languages (lisp, ruby, c) and kept me away from mediocre (c++, perl)
as well as awful (java :) languages. I don't see why I should stop listening
to my guts now.

And lastly, if you haven't realized, there was a good amount of humor
incorporated in that post. The target was the programmer using that
specific 'language', not the language itself.

-Martin

[1] given that guy steele had hands on java 2, I wonder how that could
    happen though. (at least he's obviously co-author of the reference
    for java 2 *scratch* and advertised as being involved) Seems dementia
    comes early for c.s. people :)