On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:01:04 +0900, Mauricio FernŠŌdez wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:21:11AM +0900, Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> The neutral layer should include a "native" packaging format (a
>> la RubGEMS or something supportable entirely with Ruby) that all
>> packages should be in.
>>
>> I also think that using an OS-based package manager for language
>> libraries is unnecessarily heavyweight and doesn't easily or
>> nicely support non-system installation. As an example, I use a
>> hosting solution that doesn't give me root access; thus, I must
>> install all libraries (Ruby, too!) in $HOME, not in a system
>> directory. An OS package manager not only won't help me, it would
>> hinder me -- and thousands of others in similar situations.
> That's why we'd need the "native" Pure-Ruby package manager. All
> backends should be supported, to satisfy both sysadmins and users
> of all platforms.

And the initial focus should be on the "native" Pure-Ruby package
manager. I don't have a lot of time to look at the available
options, at the moment, but I noticed last night that I couldn't get
to rpkg -- does anyone know of a different site for it?

-austin
-- Austin Ziegler, austin / halostatue.ca on 2003.04.09 at 13:26:03