----- Original Message -----
From: <nobu.nokada / softhome.net>

> My basic confusion was that I thought the error was saying "`bar' doesn't
> happen to be an instance variable name in this particular object" rather
> than "`bar' is not allowable as an instance variable name, not now, not
> ever."

Isn't it fair enough?

  NameError: `bar' is not allowable as an instance variable name.

<other email>

  `foo' is not proper for an instance variable name.
  `bar' is not recognized as an instance variable name.

Personally, the top one is my favorite.  The second one is weird english,
and the last one has the same problem as the current error message.

  NameError: `bar' is not allowable as an instance variable name.

Sounds good to me!

Chris