On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 06:03:24AM +0900, Damphyr wrote:
> Going one step further, it would be nice to have some tool that can
> create such an install script for the developer.
> That would be step one.

Isn't this what setup.rb/install.rb do right now?

> Having a clearly defined interface for these two would help OS package
> maintainers to get the information they need to maintain ruby-package
> distributions. I personally use Gentoo, Tom you can scream if I'm
> talking rubish, and I don't think adapting an ebuild to pass data from a
> ruby script to Portage is such a big deal - provided there is a unified
                                                                  =======
> way to keep such information :). But, again, this would come as a third
  =============================
> step in my list.

That is what I'm advocating for, standardizing the metadata so that each
system can use it the way it needs.

> Since the thread started I played around with a few ideas and put
> together some code yesterday. Unfortunately I have not had the time to
> complete the functionality, nor have I any way to host this ultra alpha
> version so that you could look at it.

That looks like the very first step towards a system-independent
pure-Ruby package management system.

It would be one of the targets of what I am thinking of, but not the
only one nor the first to be ready (cause it's got to be written from
scratch...)

--
	Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

<igor> Hah! we have 2 Johnie Ingrams in the channel :)
<igor> Hey all btw :)