From: "Your Name Here" <jim / fivek.com>

> > To me, "good" is more "is it easy to read and write", rather than
> > "does it run blindingly fast".  Others have different metrics
> > depending on what they're doing.
>
> Well, in this case good means fast and efficient....
>
> If you want easy to read and write at the expense of speed, why not use
> JAVA, what advantage does Ruby have over JAVA ?

Think of Ruby as even farther up the power continuum: About maybe
10x "easier to read and write" than Java, but also generally slower
at run-time.  :)

In addition to all my other uses for Ruby, I do actually use Ruby to
prototype graphics algorithms: precisely because Ruby is such a high-
level, powerful language.  But I do expect to re-code the finished
algorithms in C++ for speed.

Hope this helps,

Bill