> Why do we have to copy 'setup.rb' or 'install.rb' at all?  Why isn't there
> a standard module that has methods that support installation.

I tend to agree.  After I posted my quickie code I started thinking
that Ruby should have at the least a built-in way to copy files
to the site_ruby directory.  E.g.:

$ ruby -e copy_to_site_ruby name_of_file.rb

If the file already exists, the code would prompt you to allow overwriting:

$ File already exists, but is older.  Overwrite (y/n)?

> <plug> My installpkg that I put on RAA back in December was intended to be
> a step in that direction and a catalyst for discussion.  Using installpkg
> you write your own install.rb script which tends to be very simple and
> looks like:
>
> require 'install-pkg'
> include InstallPkg
> InstallPkg.install_pkg('RHDL')

How hard would it be for an installation module to know how to Do The Right Thing
when called on a directory or tarball that fits a known format?  Then there would
be only one installation script, and it would be part of the base Ruby installation.

 InstallPkg.install_pkg() # defaluting to name_of_tarball_or_pwd_or_something_like_that

Dependencies can be detemined by looking at the package source and verifying
what is already installed.

In any event, having a set of built-in installation tools would be sweet.

James