I'd like to echo the sentiment that even the simplest thing needs an
install command.  Take "iconv" from the RAA:

- it has an extconf.rb, but doesn't respond to --help (I had to read the
  Pickaxes's chapter on mkmf, and figured out how to map dir_config()'s
  argument to a command line argument...)

  Suggestion: mkmf's create_makefile() should implement a --help option!

- It lacks an install script, so I am about to start doing some more
  reading to see where it goes.

  Observation: it's not enormously obvious where to install single files
  for beginners.

Cheers,
Sam

Quoteing google / tompayne.org, on Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 07:05:27PM +0900: