Hi,

From: "Yukihiro Matsumoto" <matz / ruby-lang.org>

> In message "Re: Mutexes end critical sections?"
>     on 03/04/07, "Robert Klemme" <bob.news / gmx.net> writes:
>
> |what about the other question?  Are there plans to move over to native
> |threads?  I guess this would be a major change, but maybe someone has this
> |in the works...
>
> Implementing Mutex, etc. with C?  Perhaps.  Somebody got to take the
> role though.  Shugo Maeda (the mod_ruby/eruby guy) once implemented
> them long before.  Maybe his implementation can be the starting point.

Another place to look might be the boost C++ libraries[1], which
provide a platform-independent wrapping for OS-native threads,
mutexes, critical sections, etc...

(I realize the Ruby core doesn't use C++, but I just guessed it
might be useful to see whatever approach they took with boost...)

Regards,

Bill

[1] http://www.boost.org/
    http://www.boost.org/libs/thread/doc/index.html