----- Original Message -----
From: "James Britt" <james / jamesbritt.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2003 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: Call for standardised package installation procedure

I'll address these issues just from
my own point of view.

> I'd be interested to hear from folks as to:
>    a) Why they do not include an installation script

First, I don't see the need for an install
script if it's just a single file foo.rb
which you do a require() on.

Second, some things in the RAA are simple
documentation and arguably might not need
an install.

Third, I'm not sure that there is truly
one single standard to follow. I haven't
researched it, but this is my impression.

> and, more generally,
>
>    b) Why they do not list their code in the RAA at all (but do make it
available
>        from, say, SourceForge or a personal home page)

For my part, I have a few items on my page
that aren't in the RAA.

This is because they are 1) too trivial or
2) too old or that kind of thing.

But basically, I personally don't want to
put anything in the RAA until it is in
fairly good shape. (No flames intended
toward those who think otherwise.) I don't
like to see an interesting new item in
the RAA and then see "Version 0.001 -
pre-pre-alpha - Unstable - No real features -
Very buggy" and so on.

Hal