I'm helping maintain Ruby and Ruby packages in Gentoo Linux.

Currently, different packages have different installation procedures.
For example, some use the extconf mechanism, some use Minero Aoki's
setup.rb, and others roll their own.

It would make my job a lot easier if just one were chosen, and perhaps
made part of the standard Ruby distribution. A standard installation
procedure would make it much quicker for me to add packages, and
reduce everyone's reading of READMEs.

Personally, I vote for Minero Aoki's setup.rb:
  http://i.loveruby.net/en/setup.html

Ideally I would like it to be a _requirement_ for all packages in the
RAA to support the standard installation procedure (whatever that
turns out to be).

Comments? Flames?

Tom