Hi All,

I'm running a series of dependant events, much like a makefile. I make
each task a new thread, then I loop through the thread checking
dependencies, and if they've finished. I make a systemcall to actually
perform the task, and in order to make sure that things don't go zombie
on me, I do a collection of my threads in every cycle. See psedo code
below:

#cycle is much like each, except it needs to loop so that
#next will not cause it to end
tasks.cycle  {
	break if all tasks are done
   threads.each { |aThread| unless (aThread.alive?);
      threads.delete(aThread); end
   }
	next if finished
	next if dependancies not met
	new thread {
		system "do something"
		}
	retry
}

does any one have any ideas why I keep getting zombie processes?
(iow, my cycle never get's to the break point)
I've experimented with waitpid as well with no success.

db

--
Apr  5 	Thomas Hobbes born, 1588, philosopher
Apr  4 	Tandy Corp. acquires Radio Shack, 1963 (9 stores)
Apr  4 	Gandalf visits Bilbo (LOTR)
Apr  4 	Martin Luther King assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee, 1968
Apr  4 	NATO Established, 1949
Apr  6 	Joseph Smith founds Mormon Church, 1830
Apr  4 	Ching Ming Festival in Hong Kong
Apr  4 	Liberation Day in Hungary
Apr  4 	National Day in Senegal
Apr  5 	Arbor Day in South Korea
Apr  5 	Tomb Sweeping Day in Taiwan
Apr  6 	Chakri Memorial Day in Thailand
Apr  6 	Victory Day in Ethiopia
Apr  4 	Muddy Waters (McKinley Morganfield) is born in Rolling Fork,
	Mississippi, 1915
Apr  6*	Daylight Savings Time begins; clocks move forward (1st Sunday of April)
Apr  4*	Omer 7th day
Apr  4*	Pesach (Last Day of Passover; 8th day of Pesach)
Apr  4*	Yizkor
Apr  5*	Omer 8th day
Apr  6*	Omer 9th day
Apr  6*	Parashat Shemini