Hi,

I'm trying to install ruby in our production environment, but that means I
have to "install" the code in a staging area, and then run our tools to
distribute it. The situation is something like this:

Final location is: /prod/language/ruby/1.6.8/
Compile area is: /dev/language/ruby/1.6.8/build/
Staging area is: /dev/language/ruby/1.6.8/install/

So ruby must assume it's going to be running from
/prod/language/ruby/1.6.8, but it has to install into
/dev/language/ruby/1.6.8/install

Is there an easy way of persuading instruby to do the right thing in this
situation?

Setting DESTDIR to /dev gives /dev/prod/language/ruby/1.6.8/ which is no
good :)

The only thing I could think of was to temporarily change (via ruby, sed,
or perl) rbconfig.rb during the 'make install' phase, then change it back
again afterwards. Is there a better way?

Cheers,
Mike
--
Mike Wyer     <mike / wyer.org>     www.wyer.org/mike     07974 254007

    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather...
  ... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car"