On 2 Apr 2003 at 5:05, nico wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 00:31:27 +0900
> Paul Brannan <pbrannan / atdesk.com> wrote:
>
> > When does ruby.vim get released?  Is it with vim itself?  What's the
> > correct path for patches?  Is there a ruby script that can be used to
> > test it (so patches don't break anything)?
> >
> > Paul
> >

> You can put the file in ~/.vim/indent/ (for unix, im not sure about windows). If it doesn't work properly, remove it and vim will go back to using the file in /usr/share/vim/vim##/indent/

I think Paul was looking for a way to automatically prove that new
versions of ruby.vim work as expected, especially because it is hard
to do so from simply looking at the code. Think of it as an automated
unit test for ruby.vim.

Maybe we could automatically open one or more Ruby test files in vim,
let vim indent it, and then export it to HTML. By comparing the
generated HTML file to a HTML file containing the expected results,
we could test both syntax highlighting and indentation.

Using a preliminary version of such a test I found that the new
version of ruby.vim doesn't indent this code correctly, while the
previous version did:

class C
def m
/re/

I think that such a tool could be very useful for the maintainers of
ruby.vim (and those of other vim syntax files btw). I'll publish my
code somewhere on RubyGarden after polishing it a little bit.

Regards,
Pit