On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 07:52:38AM +0900, jennyw wrote:
> I was wondering what people were using for GUI development. I've seen a
> few posts talking about Tk and gtk2 ... I was wondering how easy this is
> for someone relatively new to Ruby to jump into and if there were any
> others.

The other big one is 'FXRuby' (http://fxruby.sourceforge.net/)
My personal favourite is gtk2.

#include<std_disclaimer.h>
#include<opinions.h>
#define  FLAMES   0

I would say that the following 3 are the main choices.  This is how I view
them:

Tk
===
  Pro:	Easiest to use and learn.  Multi-platform.
  Con:	Somewhat ugly and not terribly powerful.

Gtk2
====
  Pro:	Modern, powerful and looks great.  Semi-multiplatform.
	Not hard to use, but there is more to learn than with Tk.
  Con:	The Windows port is a bit behind I think.

Fox
===
  Pro:	Modern, powerful and multi-platrofm.
  Con:	Looks ugly under Linux.  Not so bad under Windows.

My personal favourite is, by far, Gtk2.

There is a RubyCocoa if you are on a Mac.

> I did take a look at FreeRIDE recently ... looks nice! I'm impressed
> they're able to get an app. running under Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows
> ... what was used for this?

Fox. :)

I hope this helps,
--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.