David King Landrith wrote:
> On Sunday, March 30, 2003, at 08:06 PM, nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote:
>
>>> There are a surprising number of ruby source files that have newline
>>> (\n) characters hardcoded as the line terminator--it appears that way
>>> more than half of the files do.  Shouldn't these be set to a macro
>>> that outputs $\ (or perhaps $,) character.  It seems to me that the
>>> most of the places where ruby programs write directly to stdout are
>>> not places where speed is of the essense (e.g., printing stack traces.)
>>

>> Interesting but I doubt its necessarity and worthfulness.
>

> Likewise with your reply.

Ouch.
I'm sure antagonizing people will *really* make them want to help you...

> I am going to be gradually introducing ncurses based terminal
> capabilities to series of large and quite complex programs that are
> entirely readline/puts/printf based, and re-writing the UI layer all at
> once from the top isn't a viable alternative.  Thus, the change will be
> gradual, and the initial inclusion of ncurses must not require
> modification of the existing code.

And what is so hard about having a stub file that contains

begin
   load 'real-main-program-file.rb'
rescue
   # ...
ensure
   endwin
end

If that doesn't work, you could continue insulting people until they
spontaneously decide to change their code just for you... (most likely
by using \n wherever possible) :P