Paul Brannan <pbrannan / atdesk.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 04:37:40AM +0900, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>> > I guess extension writers should not rely on 1/2 == 0 .
>>
>> Do you think this is reasonable?
>>
>> What method should I call if I want integer division?

Supposedly, you have to use Kernel.Integer, which uses native
conversion if obj is builtin numeric object, otherwise it calls
obj.to_int (if obj responds to to_int, in Ruby 1.7 or later) or
obj.to_i (if obj does not respond to to_int, or Ruby version is older
than 1.7).  For example, Rational class has Rational#to_i, which hides
the call of Integer#div.

						FUKUMOTO Atsushi
						fukumoto / imasy.or.jp