On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 07:20:18AM +0900, ahoward wrote:
>   * a simple C program cgi 'responder' (FAST) which delegates cgi requests to
>     a persistent backend ruby cgi server, communcating via named pipes (fifos)

I don't see how this differs much from fastcgi, if you use the 'cgi-fcgi'
program supplied with the fcgi library (it's a small C program which is
invoked as a 'normal' CGI, which in turn passes on the request to one of a
pool of FastCGI processes). That fixes the 'no external modules, no
configuration of Apache' issue.

FastCGI is working very well for me, and I'll certainly persist with it -
there's a lot of development already behind it, and the ability to run perl
CGIs under the same API is extremely useful.

I am just in the process of updating the ruby-fcgi module (programs now run
either from the command-line, as normal CGI, or as FastCGI with no changes!)
I'll post it tomorrow when I've finished working out why FreeBSD appears to
be mangling signals...

Regards,

Brian.