> > e6 = (1
> > + 2);
> I don't know why this is 2.

I agree, this is very odd.
What's going on?
----------------------------
I think that the expression in parenthases is read as:
  (1; +2)
which evaluates to 2.

==============

This seems to be correct.  The following:

e = (2

Spits out 3 for me.

I never liked ruby trying to figure out the end of the statement for
me; always been happier telling [the interpreter] explicitly, for
reasons JUST such as this.  Maybe I'm paranoid.

=====
--
We have got to force them to comply, and we are doing so militarily." -- Tom Daschle ? February, 1998 (Clinton presidency)

"I am saddened that ... we?re now forced to go to war.???-- Tom Daschle, March, 2003 (Bush presidency)