On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 06:25:45AM +0900, ahoward wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Mauricio [iso-8859-1] Fern?ndez wrote:
>
> > We can moreover define a namespace, probably following the RAA:
> >
> > Subject: [EG:/Application/Development] bla
> >
> > ----[CUT: foo.rb]----
> >
> > puts "FOO"
> >
> > ----[END: foo.rb]----
> >
> > And we have single-handily created the new RAA for code snippets :-)
>
> THIS is along the lines of what i was thinking.  i think this approach could
> yield a large body of really cool ruby code in short order.  if whatever
> interface was created alowed the snippets to be cross references and rated it
> could be a *very* usefull database.   let's here it for

The major advantage I see is that it lowers the barrier to archive the
snippets. In my own (limited) experience, I've posted some code to
ruby-talk but only 3 things were actually put in the Wiki, and I'm not
really sure it is the proper place to store them in (although it is more
justified if explanations are involved).

If we assume snippets have no dependencies (each one should run
independently), a command-line interface should be fairly easy to make.

 ruby-snippet search "find IP address"
 name1 description bla bla bla
 name2 description bla bla bla
 nameN description bla bla bla
 ruby-snippet show nameI

It doesn't really make sense to have 'install' as snippets are intended
to be short, ready to cut&paste.

>   http://snippet.ruby-lang.org
>
> in fact,
>
>   [SNIPPET]
>
> is as good a subject as any IMHO - though i still like the
> un-english-centric [EG]
>
> -a
>
> ps.  that reminds me, it think RAA projects should be rated too - a simply
>
>   [x] this package rocks
>   [ ] this package is weak
>
> check box type voting would be pretty neat to see.  the voting could be
> summarized as
>
> RAA PACKAGE FOO
>
>   42 favourable
>   6  unfavourable

Would something like "trust metric" [1] be applicable to this?

[1] http://www.advogato.org/trust-metric.html

--
	Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Sigh.  I like to think it's just the Linux people who want to be on
the "leading edge" so bad they walk right off the precipice.
	-- Craig E. Groeschel