Frank Fejes wrote:

> I think this would be a great service.  I'm curious as to how you'd handle
> the needs for web server restarts ... especially when this sounds like
> it would be more of a developmental server.  I've found that, when developing
> applications, I have to restart the web server more often when creating
> mod_ruby apps than I have with others (mod_python, php).

I can quickly think of two extreme solutions, and one compromise solution.

The first radical idea would be to let users restart Apache whenever
they need to, but OTHER users might not like that so well ;)

The next radical idea would be to let every user have their own Apache
process.  userworld/useractive.com does this.  It's not a virtual
private server, though, so I don't think you can install
Ruby/eRuby/mod_ruby, plus I'm sure they have more powerful servers with
more memory than I would get with a virtual private server.

Perhaps the compromise would be to restart at regular times every day?!
  And then, coming back to the idea of individual Apache processes, I
could make this available to those who pay more.

Mind you, the idea is the fee would still only be convering costs.
These "premier" accounts would just have to pay for TWO accounts, for
instance.  So they would get 100 MB and 6 Gig bandwidth for $4 a month,
instead of $2.  This would ensure we only had, at most, a dozen (parent)
Apache processes running at any one time, rather than 2 dozen.

Comments?!

George