On 17 Aug, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> In message "[ruby-talk:00668] Way to intercept method calls?"
>     on 99/08/16, Clemens Hintze <c.hintze / gmx.net> writes:

[...]

> Hmm, there's no such mechanism to capture all method calls in current
> Ruby, and I'm afraid it will not be available in the future, because
> it should cause performance drawback.

Hmm... We could have a method, that could set an internal flag on C
level. If that flag is set for a certain class, ruby could call
`__send__with `midĽ¨ instead of sending direct. But only for that
class (means instances)!

Would that be better for the performance?

> Instead, there's a way to override all predefined methods dynamically,
> which is not exactly you want, since it can't handle dynamically
> defined methods, but I guess it will do most of the job.

But that would also cause performance drawbacks, wouldn it?

[...]

>                                                         matz.

\cle