On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Conrad Schneiker wrote:

> Sure. Likewise, a Ruby Cookbook would also be wonderful--along with the
> corresponding "Recipe of the Day" Cookbook extract feature that you find
> midway down Perl's home page (www.perl.com).

It'd be good if the code presented in the Recipe of the Day could then
be improved from various perspectives. Eg, adding multilingualism,
improving the error handling, optimised for speed, refactored, or
reformatted.

Not as a sequence of steps ending up in "perfect" code, but all aspects
being a single step from the original recipe. The user can figure out
which combination of steps they want.

Eg:

    Recipe of the day:  Add element to sorted array.
      Speed optimised version.
      Test harness version.
      Error checking version.
      Refactored version.
      Converted to C version.
      Long term maintainable version.
      The functional programming way version.
      The obscure tricky yet amazingly cool way.
      Etc etc.

The neat part about this is that we can get to ride our hobbyhorses
in code, so the people who know the most about a specific area can
contribute the best examples from their area of expertise.

Readers can look at the best version for their current requirements.
Eg, I'd rather not read the optimised version to understand what it
does, but then I'd rather use the refactored version in my code but
would prefer to use the converted to C version in my libraries.

--
  steve / deaf.org