On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 23:06, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> A couple of comments.
>
> 1.  I hate having to type Makefile instead of makefile.  make will accept
> either, so any make replacement should allow the initial lower case letter.
> Why anyone uses Makefile instead of makefile I've never understood...

Easy to do.  Ok.

> 2.  Automatic dependency checking (not just timestamps, but automatically
> discovering dependencies like "make depend") is important.

I see this functionality as an add-in library.  I already have a stand
alone program (called jdepend.rb) which determines the dependencies in a
Java project.  I can see reworking the jdepend code so that it can be
used as a library and then in your Rakefile have ...

    require 'jdepend'
    JDepend.generate_java_dependencies

or something like that.  Since a Rakefile is really Ruby code, its
trivial to extend it in ways that are difficult in a Makefile.

> 3.  How about implementing something like the clearcase concept of derived
> objects?

Enlighten me.  Is that like knowing that X.class is derived from X.java?