Gennady wrote:
<snip>
> The convention is that 'Makefile' is generated and 'makefile' is hand
> written. 'Makefile' take precedence over 'makefile', so if you generate
> 'Makefile' from 'makefile' and run make again, everything works as
> expected.

I've been told that it's the other way around, with 'makefile' taking
precedence over 'Makefile', and in fact that's the way it works on
Alpha OSF1 v5.1, for what that's worth.

I've seen 'Makefile' hand-written and I've seen it generated.  I've
never heard of a convention either way, but obviously, other people
have.

I've only seen 'makefile' used once, and that was to override an
unpopular 'Makefile'.

Differentiating 'makefile' and 'Makefile' is fine until you have to
port to Windows and case no longer matters...

Louis Krupp