On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 08:06 PM, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:

> A couple of comments.
>
> 1.  I hate having to type Makefile instead of makefile.  make will
> accept
> either, so any make replacement should allow the initial lower case
> letter.
> Why anyone uses Makefile instead of makefile I've never understood...

The convention is that 'Makefile' is generated and 'makefile' is hand
written. 'Makefile' take precedence over 'makefile', so if you generate
'Makefile' from 'makefile' and run make again, everything works as
expected.

Actually, we base our build system on imake (quite different from X
environment, though) and gnumake, so in 'makefile' the code is invoked
to generate 'Makefile' from 'Imakefile' (via include directive and a
build rule Imakefile -> Makefile). However recently I started thinking
about replacing imake with ruby. I like Jim's syntax, however it seems
to me that better way would be to marry rake and gnumake, where ruby is
used to generate Makefile from Rakefile. I'll give it a shot next week.

Gennady.