In article <20030314114816.B29888 / ttul.org>,
Brian Ingerson  <ingy / ttul.org> wrote:
>On 14/03/03 00:16 -0700, why the lucky stiff wrote:
>> citizens,
>>
>> Here's the deal.  I became sick and delirious about a month ago.  In my
>> deranged state, I felt it imperative that I should recode YAML.rb's
>> parser in C.  I have just now come to my senses, incident to the
>> powerful fumes of a passing onion truck.  And yet, I am sitting before a
>> new YAML parser that is as wide and wonderful as any of the world's
>> finest onion trucks!
>>
>> It is like I am an Olympic diver who has developed a serious case of amnesia
>> mid-pike.  There is nothing I can do now.
>>
>> So I am please to present Syck, the new YAML parser/toy on the block.
>> I have included Ruby, Python and PHP extensions, though the last two
>> need some work.  An OCaml extension is in progress as well.
>
>I took a look at Syck's interface. So you do have your own hashing built
>in. It's interesting because Syck is more than a parser, but less than a
>loader. But you could easily build a push/pull wrapper over it, or build
>a loader out of it. I kinda like it. (Especially if it works!)

It does indeed look cool.  If illness is the inspiration that leads to
creation then perhaps... uhhh, well no, I don't want to go through what
why had.

>I could actually see doing the Perl extension to Syck as
>YAML::Parser::Syck or YAML::Loader::Syck. Eventually I'd want both. I
>think I'll start with the Loader though.
>
>Good work, Why. I'll be your Perl guy on this. (Aren't I always :)

One of these days, Brian, you'll be the Ruby guy on one of these projects
;-)

>Cheers, Brian
>
>PS This gives me a good reason to get back into Inline again. All my
>projects will some day achieve oneness. Ingytopia. Pass the Dr Bronner's.

The 18-in-one Hemp Peppermint please!

Phil