"Hal E. Fulton" <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote in message
news:08e901c2e8d5$ca49afa0$0300a8c0 / austin.rr.com...
> [...]

No, Access does not need to be installed.  You can access a *.mdb database
through ODBC directly.  For example Word and Excell can access such
databases.  VB or Delphi and other tools can, too.
ODBC is much more than just an API; if you use Microsoft's MDAC you can even
do SQL joins of two databases that are created by very different engines
like FoxPro( *.dbf ) and Access (*.mdb).  This means ODBC itself PARSES SQL!
(That's why there are options for 'direct' SQL, i.e.: give it to the
database without parsing)
No wonder ODBC can be such a temperamental thing...

Peter