citizens,

Here's the deal.  I became sick and delirious about a month ago.  In my
deranged state, I felt it imperative that I should recode YAML.rb's
parser in C.  I have just now come to my senses, incident to the
powerful fumes of a passing onion truck.  And yet, I am sitting before a
new YAML parser that is as wide and wonderful as any of the world's
finest onion trucks!

It is like I am an Olympic diver who has developed a serious case of amnesia
mid-pike.  There is nothing I can do now.

So I am please to present Syck, the new YAML parser/toy on the block.
I have included Ruby, Python and PHP extensions, though the last two
need some work.  An OCaml extension is in progress as well.

Download here:
  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/yaml4r/syck-0.08.tar.gz?download

To compile the Ruby extension:
  cd ext/ruby/
  ruby extconf.rb
  make
  sudo make install

To load a document:

  >> require 'syck'
  >> Syck.load( <<EOY )
  - one
  - two
  - three

Much is done but much is left to be done.  The point is: I'm at version
0.08.  And it's time to start releasing early and releasing often.

Please jump in and voice your support for YAML in the Ruby distribution!
YAML.rb has only been a module for eight months and has seen widespread
usage.  Wouldn't you like to <require 'yaml'> with no worries?

Best of luck.  And I can feel my amnesia wearing off already.  Time for
a dive.

_why