On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:07:00 +0900
Sam Roberts <sroberts / uniserve.com> wrote:

<snip>
> I haven't tried it with ruby install.rb --prefix= but I will. I like  to
> keep track of where things on my system come from.
<snip>

You might also check out epkg (http://www.encap.org/), which is like
GNU stow, but more sophisticated (yet just as simple to use ;).  You
can use it like stow (I do), or do all-out packages with dependencies
and the like, very simple to build.  (Nice if you build something and
want to put it on other boxes.)  I haven't seen the latest stow, but
last I saw, epkg was considerably faster.  It also supposedly has
facilities for automatically building things from autoconf-enabled
source tarballs.

I use epkg for ruby stuff, although I haven't --prefix='d things
(being generally tied to the given ruby version), it should work
either way.

Stow or epkg, though, I'll put in my 2-cent recommendation for doing
things this way... finally you can manage source like you manage
binary packages.

--
Ryan Pavlik <rpav / users.sf.net>

"Fanged death from the sea is quite routine." - 8BT