Use GNU stow (available from your friendly neighbourhood gnu archive).

basically, do

cd widget-0.1

./configure
make
make install PREFIX=/usr/local/stow/widget0.1

it gets copied into the stow directory.

then cd to /usr/local/stow, and do stow widget0.1

what happens is symlinks get built in /usr/local to point into
the stow directory. It's a one-line to uninstall. Doing a ls -l will
tell you what package a file came from. Beautiful.

I haven't tried it with ruby install.rb --prefix= but I will. I like  to
keep track of where things on my system come from.

Cheers,
Sam

Quoteing eblanton / cs.purdue.edu, on Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:00:17PM +0900: