<cailloux / lesdamien.com> writes:

> ------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C2E937.15ABF820
>
> Hello evry body
>
> I'm new to Ruby World.
> Does some body know differences Ruby / Eiffel
> and the advantages of both.
The both are fine langauges and combining them would make quite a
bunch of people happy.

Now here my 2 cent.
Eiffel is nice for building frameworks (so larger applications)
Eiffel very verbose and it's a  very unpleasant experience to use it n
areas where Ruby shines. (just an example, write Iteration about a
container without Agents in Eifel, fetch one HTML page from somewhere)
Eiffel get compiled and it seems hefty to write an Interpreter for it
because the need "all-world" knowledge.
Eiffel is statically typed (mostly of)
Interfactin Eiffel/C is as easy as it is with Ruby/Eiffel
It DBC concept is extremly helpful and a documentation tool of first
grade. You do not have to know the source just the short forms (that
are the contracts make it easy) to undersrand how things work.

Ruby is "dynamically" typed, and interpreted. There have been attemps
to integrate DBC into it (do not know how well it really is)
Ruby blocks have no good counterpart in Eiffel
Ruby can work with incomplete information
Ruby can be easy extended and embedded in C (that is what I learned in
a relativly short time)

Both languages have a "feel-right" taste, combining Eiffel with Ruby
seems to be a very attractive alternatie. Eiffel as the "Framework"
Ruby for appling it conveniently.

I just can say I really love them both.

Regards
Friedrich