Gennady wrote:

> Hi, Rubyists
>
> Is there any disent software packaging and installation tool for
> distributing binary software packages, something like pkgadd on SVR4?
> Preferably in Ruby. RAA hasn't yield anything, unfortunatelly.
>
> Thank you and sorry for OT,
> Gennady.

If you are trying to make Linux binaries (rpm, deb, tarballs) then write an
install script that would install the files the way you want the binary
file to, then download checkinstall (do a google search to find it) and in
the commandline type 'checkinstall installscript.rb' then select the output
format (rpm, deb or tarball). One problem is that it will only be able to
generate binaries that are supported on your platform, for example if you
are running Red Hat or Mandrake you will only be able to make RPM's, on
debian based distros you might be able to make both deb and rpm and on
slackware based distributions you will be able to make tarballs. I'm not
sure if it will work on Gentoo, AFAIK Gentoo dosn't use either of the
options available in Checkinstall. Another thing to note is that the
generated file will most likely only work on computers with a similar setup
to yours.