> I want to access a MSAccess database with Ruby. I'm new to databases and
> Ruby, so my question is quite basic.
>
> When I try to connect to the database with DBI a error message shows up. I
> have no idea if there is something wrong with my code or my system
> configuration. Perhaps someone can provide a working code fragment?
>
> Environment:
> Windows ME, MSAccess not installed

You do not have to have Access installed, just the MDAC that includes
ODBC/ADO, depending on how you connect.

I access Access (ha) through win32ole -> ADO -- so I can't help you with the
DBI specifics.

> Error:
> C:/PROGRAMME/RUBY/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:71:in `connect':
> S1090 (0) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Ungtige Zeichenfolgen- oder
> Pufferlš¤ge. (DBI::DatabaseError)
>  from C:/PROGRAMME/RUBY/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/dbi/dbi.rb:496:in `connect'
>  from C:/PROGRAMME/RUBY/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/dbi/dbi.rb:322:in `connect'

Also, if you have the ability to post an English ODBC error msg, I might be
able to help more.

Chris
http://clabs.org