"Seth Kurtzberg" <seth / cql.com> wrote in message
news:200303111259.02823.seth / cql.com...
> You can use split with a regular expression.  Or you can use a regular
> expression with defined subexpressions.  Either way you can get the
results
> you are looking for.

Nope, split will not give me the text where the split takes place and it
will also not give me a match object such that I can use subexpressions.

String#scan allows me to use subexpressions as I mentioned, but I end up
with a very hairy expressions because you have to negate the second sub
match, plus I need to handle border conditions very carefully.

Of course I can manually iterate over a string using match, but that isn't
really the Ruby way.

Mikkel