"ahoward" <ahoward / fsl.noaa.gov> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.53.0303111437320.2525 / eli.fsl.noaa.gov...

> i am considering creating a ruby interface to this module :
>
>   http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/scgi/
>
> it's similar to fastscgi but is supposedly simpler to implement.  i would
> interested if anyone has had any experience with it or enough experience
with
> fastcgi to make an educated comparison.

I looked at it but nothing more. Initially it looked nice, but digging
deeper, the format seemed somewhat arbitrary with respect to how and when
symbols are escaped. I don't recall details anymore, but I seem to recall
that \0 was unnecessarily left unsupported - probably due to the C API. The
format seems pretty optimized specifically for making it easy to use C
arrays in the API. I could come up with any number of other formats and
indeed, in the light of recent RPC discussions, there are plenty of formats.
FastCGI is an established standard and it supports some level of
authentication.

I'd rather see efforts spend on FastCGI and the JServ protocol.
And personally I don't care if the protocol is simple or not. I'm only
interested in connectivity and speed.

Mikkel